Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.space.history
From: Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: Limited Commercial Posting
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 01:02:21 GMT

In article <32c232f9.215036693@nntp.ix.netcom.com> om@ix.netcom.com ( om) writes:
>....Possibly. However, there's a -lot- of people on the net who are
>part of the "old school of Usenet management" (*) and feel that -any-
>sort of commercial use of the Internet is a major taboo...

Speaking as a member of the very old school of Usenet management -- the
folks who ran Usenet machines when a complete map of all of Usenet drawn
in ASCII characters would fit on a 24x80 screen -- we always saw this as
stupid Arpanet nonsense unrelated to Usenet.  There has *always* been
tactful, cautious commercial use of Usenet; anyone who tells you different
is not remembering the real Usenet.
--
"We don't care.  We don't have to.  You'll buy     |       Henry Spencer
whatever we ship, so why bother?  We're Microsoft."|   henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Index Home About Blog