Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Need source for high-alloy gas welding rod
From: John De Armond
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 09:08:11 GMT

levie@isg.llnl.gov (Harold Levie) writes:

>	I would like to find a source for gas welding rod with higher
>strength than the usual mild steel material that I can get locally. My
>application is for buildup of cutting edges on things like compost shredder
>hammers and rototiller tines--I have tried stick welder hardfacing, but
>the working edge is a bit narrow for good control, and in places I have to
>build out the corners a considerable distance.

MG Welding Products makes just about any rod alloy you'd ever imagine -
and a few you wouldn't.  Their prices will make you suck wind, however.
I used to sell these rods from my shop.  Even back in 1985, some of
the "high alloy" rods cost $1 a rod or more.  This is for li'll ole
1 foot long stick welding rods.  I think you'd find some of their hardface
rods quite suitable for high buildup deposits on thin crossections.
I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with really hard alloys and
gas welding.  If your stick welder is an AC/DC model, you might consider
getting a small TIG torch and TIG the stuff on really thin stuff.

MG is one of the majors, competing with Air Products and Selox and so on.
Your shop should be able to get their products for you.