Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <Tubal_cain@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Help removing studs
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:06:51 GMT

Here's how we used to remove studs from steam turbine casings..some of them up
to 6" diameter.

If they are true studs, that is they have a plane cylindrical section between
the two theaded ends your job is somewhat easier.

Take a large block of  steel (we used bronze as it is less likely to put stress
rising marks on the studs..Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice)  Bore a
CLOSE fitting hole through its center (cut a thread to match the stud if it is
allthread)  Split the block lengthways.  Drill holes and fit at least four BIG
clamping bolts and nuts (six or eight is better.

Dust the bore surfaces with powdered resin and clamp the two block halves
TIGHTLY onto the stud.  Use a "hammer wrench" to start the stud moving. (A
hammer wrench is a short wrench with a heavy pad on the end of the handle
designed to be hit with a hammer.  Ours were flame cut from six inch boiler
plate, slung from the crane and hit with a 32 pound sledge hammer by the biggest
guy in the shop)

Robert Bastow

It is not just knowing that it needs to be hit with a hammer...But WHERE and how
HARD!!

Index Home About Blog