Index Home About Blog
From: jrr0@watson.ibm.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: how about moving 12,000 lbs?
Date: 19 Dec 1996 15:23:32 GMT

In <32B8B73E.73C2@sprintmail.com>, John L Ferrell <johnferrell@sprintmail.com> writes:
>JD wrote:
>
>> have a 12,000 lb mill that I need to move three feet. It
>> doesn't seem worth the expense to have a rigger come out
>> to move it so short a distance.
>
>If you have something to push against, a couple of discount store bottle jacks turned
>sidways will do it with a little patience.
>
>If you can get hold of the machine to raise it vertical, get about three pieces of old
>pipe under it & roll it where ever. A selection of landscape timbers or 4X4's would be
>handy for rigging fresh bites.
>
>John Ferrell in Julian NC

Warning:  be careful what you put the *other* end of the bottle jacks
against.  There's a (true) story, related in a book called (I recall)
"High Iron" where a steel framed building is being constructed, and the
first two stories are in place, when the workers discover that they
are slightly out of plumb.

Their solution:  timbers and hydraulic jacks, positioned against a nearby
brownstown building.  As we all know, masonry has no shear strength.
So the brownstown collapsed as the jacks were pumped.  The steel
frame never flexed a bit. Fortunately, the building was empty at the
time, but the insurance companies had to figure it all out afterwards.

Also in the book they discuss the technique used to make steel-framed
buildings go together vertical.  The tools?  Measuring tape, string, and
a plumb level.  That's all.

Its really a great book.  Also talks about why one should not weld
galvanized steel, and what "hard" bolts are, and why one should
not take a turn of hoist rope around one's hand.

So be careful if you move that machine with the bottle jacks.

Jim

From: jrr0@watson.ibm.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 20 Dec 1996 14:59:02 GMT

In <59duta$qm@shellx.best.com>, stas@best.com (Stan Malyshev) writes:
>In article <59bmlk$1f7e@watnews1.watson.ibm.com>,  <jrr0@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>[]
>>
>>Its really a great book.  Also talks about why one should not weld
>>galvanized steel, and what "hard" bolts are, and why one should
>>not take a turn of hoist rope around one's hand.
>
>Why shouldn't one weld galvanized steel?  Nickel carbide inclusions?

Welding or cutting galvanized steel produces zinc fume fever - the
zinc coating on galvanized steel oxidizes into a fine fume of airborn
zinc oxide, which is know to produce flu-like symptoms.  Unless one
has correct ventilation.

I think the correct name for this book is "On High Steel," and I
*still* can't remember the author's name.

Stan, is that *you*?  What are you doing over here?

Jim

Index Home About Blog