Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.misc
Subject: Re: Stained Glass
From: John De Armond
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 04:49:41 GMT

dsoconne@quads.uchicago.edu (Daniel S OConnell) writes:

>I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a book (or periodical
>for that matter) on making stained glass.

My wife is a glass artist and I piddle with hot glass so maybe I can
help.  Stained glass books are normally found on the shelves of
stained glass shops.  Look in the Yellow Pages.

The major magazines in the business are:

Glass Art
PO Box 1507
Broomfield, CO 80038
(no phone listed)

Professional Stained Glass
PO Box 69
Brewster, NY 10509
914 279 7399

Glass Patterns Quarterly
PO Box 131
Westport, KY  40077
502 222 5631

There are two glass art guilds, each at the other's throat.  Glass Art
and Professional Stained Glass represent one each.  Lots of time is spent
calling the other one names.  Still good mags, though PSG seems
to have been wounded by the battles of late.  Glass Patterns has (IMWHO)
the best patterns of any pub.

I suggest, no, strongly suggest you call around your local stained glass
stores and find out which of them conduct lessons and sign up.  You will
save yourself months of work trying to learn all the tricks.  Beware
of the classes that try to force you to buy a whole toolkit up front.
Much of what you buy you'll never use.  About all you really need to
get started is a good glass cutter, a pair of grousing pliars, a came
cutter, a came stretcher and a good soldering iron.  Buy the rest
as you need it.

Any specific questions we'll try to answer.