Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Lathe Technique: Conical Facing Problem with Heavy Cuts on a Super
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:44:39 GMT

I have a similar Emco Maximat Super II, Nice lathe.

Locking any slide, saddle, table ect., not actually required to move during a
cut, is SOP, be it on a lathe , mill or WHY!

Quite aparte from reducing the tendency to shift under a heavy cut it reduces
chatter.

Research has shown that chatter is a significant factor in rapid WEAR of
slides...the hammering effect breaks down and disintigrates guide surfaces muck
faster than simple sliding abrasion.

I don't allow my slides to chatter under any circumstances, for that reason.  It
is one thing to grit your teeth and push on during a roughing cut...Quite
another, when you realise it is actively reducing the accurate life of your
machine!!

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:23:40 GMT

Exactly Bob...I forgot to mention that I have modified lever locks on the
saddle, cross slide and top slide of my Super II.  Just a flick of the finger to
lock, unlock.

On heavy cuts I snug up the moving axis too, just enough to give a little drag
and damping.

teenut

Bob Unitt wrote:

> In article <86upp3$661@news-central.tiac.net>, Doug White
> <gwhite@alum.mit.edu> writes
> >2) The simple (but slightly more tedious) fix is to lock the saddle.
> >There is a clamping bolt on top of the saddle that _should_ prevent it
> >from moving.
> I had the same problem on my Myford 254. I made a replacement clamping
> bolt with a lever instead of a hex-head. Moving the lever 1/4 turn goes
> from saddle-free to saddle-locked, so I can now lock the saddle for
> every facing cut, without having to waste time looking for the right
> spanner.
>
> --
> Bob Unitt (UK)

Index Home About Blog