Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Cutting Stainless
From: John De Armond
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 93 05:53:43 GMT

psrjd@acad3.alaska.edu (DENISON RAYMOND J) writes:

>In article <HOLLEN.93Jun24104155@peg.megatek.com>, hollen@megatek.com
>(Dion Hollenbeck) writes...
>
>>I am going to be cutting the tops out of 3 to 5 beer kegs which are
>>made out 304 stainless.  The two things which have been recommended
>>are 1) you can't use an acetylene torch and 2) use a sawzall with
>>carbide blades and be prepared to use 5 or 6 blades for every keg.

>To alternatives come to mind, both involve finding a shop/tool rental that will
>have either a Plasma Arc cutting torch (expensive, and probably inpractical)
>or an Air-Carbon Arc cutter (more likely available.)

Air-arc doesn't work very well on stainless because stainless won't
readily burn.

304's not very hard to cut with a sawsall or even a jigsaw.  Use a fine
tooth blade and keep it cool.  Stainless has a nasty habit of "carbiding"
(that's what they call it but I'm not so sure that is what is involved)
when overheated.  The little superhard nodules that form stop the saw
instantly.  A little water mist on the blade will keep it more than adequately
cool.

An alternative is to use a slitting wheel in a handheld cutoff saw and slit
the top away from the body.  Slower than sawing but there is no concern
about overheating.