Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: How do I rebuild car temp. gauge
From: frisbie@flying-disk.com (Alan Frisbie)
Date: 27 Apr 95 10:28:13 PDT

In article <3n2tqc$57t@news.dknet.dk>,
rac@ingenioeren.dk (Rolf Ask Clausen) writes:

> I'm restoring a 1928 Buick Std, which was bought
> as a basket case. Unfortunately the car was disassembled
> by somebody who cut the pipe for the temperature gauge.
>
> - How is this best rectified?

See below.

> - What kind of fluid was inside originally?

Probably diethyl ether (boils at 94 F).

> - How did the makers seal the pipe, avoiding air bubbles inside?

See below.

> I'm thinking of fixing it myself. I have lots of tools and a shop,
> and these problems are real fun. Can I do this myself, and how?

You can do it, and it is not difficult.

The repair of Bourdon tube temperature gauges has been addressed
several times in Skinned Knuckles magazine.   The various
articles have mostly been reprints and expansions of the
original article by Henry Miller in the February 1979 (Vol. 3, no.7)
issue.   This magazine is an invaluable information source for
old car restorers, so I urge you to subscribe.   The temperature
gauge articles appeared in the following issues (and possibly
others):

      Feb. 1979 (Vol. 3, No. 7)
      Aug. 1979 (Vol. 4, No. 1)
      Nov. 1979 (Vol. 4, No. 4)
      Mar. 1984 (Vol. 8, No. 8)
      Mar. 1987 (Vol. 11, No. 8)

The March 1987 article is by Bill Cannon, summarizes all the
previous articles, and is the most complete and detailed
version to date.

Back issues are currently $2.00 each.   Subscriptions are:
(USA) $18/year, $35/2 years, $51/3 years.
(non-USA) $21/year, $41/2 years, $60/3 years.

      Skinned Knuckles
      175 May Avenue
      Monrovia, CA 91016

If they are unable to supply any of the above issues, ask
if they will make a photocopy of that article.   They said
that it is the most requested article they have ever printed.
If they cannot supply it, let me know and I will send you
a copy of the latest article.

Replacement capillary tubing for such gauges is available
from Small Parts, Inc.   They have it in both stainless
steel (316) and nickel (99%) with an ID of .010", .020",
and .030".   Lengths from 12" to 100' are available at
prices in the $2 to $6 per foot range.

      Small Parts, Inc.
      13980 N.W. 58th Court
      P.O. Box 4650
      Miami Lakes, FL 33014-0650

      800-220-4242 (voice)
      800-423-9009 (FAX)

--  Alan E. Frisbie               Frisbie@Flying-Disk.Com
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

Index Home About Blog