Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <teenut@home.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Book for absolute novice
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 05:04:55 GMT

ppierce wrote:

> I believe that the subscription to HSM and PIM (now MW) and the purchase
> of the hardbound books of selected reprints sure have made my learning
> a lot easier.

I can honestly say that I learned far more of use, in my Metal Working
career, from "Model Engineer" GH Thomas and Tubal Cain than I ever did
from "text books" and "Shop" Instructors.

Many, many times, tips picked up from ME sources, saved the day in real life
industrial situations.

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Hey Robert, you ready for that parting off item yet?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:08:37 GMT

I leared more from George's articles on parting off, than any other single
source!!

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: SouthBend dial retrofit?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 05:23:31 GMT

Not that I am aware of..but George H Thomas covered it beautifully in "Model
Engineer" many years ago.  It is fully covered in his book "The Model Engineers
Workshop Manual" available from Tee Publishing.

I used his design of center thumbwheel lock for the graduated drum when I
converted my Maximat Super II to take a 100 division dial made by Sherline, to
fit the Bridgeport knee lift screw.

Works beautifully and is a joy to use!!

teenut

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@ hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Specs on Myford lathes
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:40:52 GMT

I think I learned more of use and value, from George Thomas, than any other
single source in my entire career! He really acted as a catalyst that helped
define my Metalworking methods, expectations, objectives and criteria.  A huge
amount of stuff I already "Knew" came together under the Mentorship of George,
and, while he was alive, we used to correspond at some length.

I have added a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience since then..but I
can look to that source as a definite "turning point" in my life.

Yeh!  The book is worth getting!!

teenut

Paul Carre wrote:

> tony@jeffree.X.co.uk (Tony Jeffree) wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 16 May 2000 10:26:24 GMT, paul.carre@polar.co.uk (Paul Carre)
> >wrote:

> >>First person to email me an address can have mine - its junk!
> >
> >I have to agree - NOT a great read.
> >

> >Regards,
> >Tony
> >
> >Website: http://www.jeffree.u-net.com/
> >When replying, delete "X." from the Email address to remove anti-SPAM measures.
> >

> If you want a GREAT read and it has Myford implications then try the
> George Thomas workshp manual, the one that he was working on when he
> died.
>
> Now that IS good value.
>
> Design Engineer
> Polar Instruments Ltd