Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Valve replacement Surgery Friday 5-17
Date: 22 May 1997
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.cardiology

In <1997May21.124515.18903@jarvis.cs.toronto.edu> bae@cs.toronto.edu
(Beverly Erlebacher) writes:

>In article <Pine.SUN.3.96.970520210839.17485A-100000@jupiter>,
>Dean  <n74i@unb.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> nurse discovers that she has been offered the 2mg sodium diet instead
>>> of the regular cardiac diet, so this change is made. The nurse cannot
>>> hear the clicking of the new mechanical valve -- even with the
>>> stethescope.
>>
>>Your mom is lucky that she can't hear the valve. I have a St. Jude
>>aortic valve prosthesis which ticks loud and clear. I don't need to feel
>>for my pulse, and in a quiet room neither does anyone else. However, I'm
>>not complaining: it works well, and my wife and I have gotten quite used
>>to it after 8 years. I just have to explain to people that "No, I don't
>>have a loud watch..." Please wish her all the best.
>
>A friend of mine chose a porcine valve replacement partly because of the
>noise factor - a friend of hers had to give up poker after getting a
>mechanical valve!

   Yeah, like the joke about the dog that was taught to play poker, but
didn't do so well because of tail-wagging with good hands....

   Had a patient once whose wife grew so used to the clicking of his
mechanical valve that she woke up once when she couldn't hear it.  He'd
passed on.

                                      Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog