Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Cassini opponents (was Re: Cassini flyby of Earth)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997
Newsgroups: sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur,sci.environment,sci.med,sci.physics,
	sci.space.history,sci.space.policy

In <rfoyEIMIBs.1vD@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com (Richard Foy) writes:

>But in the bigger picture, I suspect that FDR actually did them a
>favor. I suspect that they would have received much harsher treatment
>by the private citizens and the local police than they did at the
>interrnment camps.

Not much of a justification, and I doubt if it's true in any case.  A
little known fact is the Japanese Americans weren't interned in Hawaii.
Though still a small minority, there were just too many of them for the
locals to move.  But there weren't so many that they couldn't be
subjected to harrassment.  Yet it didn't happen.  And this in the place
where Pearl Harbor was!  Nor were Japanese on the East Coast interned,
and they survived their neighbors just fine.  I doubt anything would
have been different in California.

                                    Steve

Index Home About Blog