Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: You know a dog is old when..
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:41:05 -0500

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:28:17 -0800, "Tom T" <tominkirkland@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hunter wrote:
>
>> It doesn't seem cruel it is cruel. I always thought you loved that
>> dog, loving him means replacing his pain with your own. Letting him
>> suffer makes you as cruel as someone who would starve or beat a dog.
>
>Why is it cruelty not to put down an old dog but it's a crime (and a
>sin) to put down an old person? Never did understand that.

Just another one of society's f*cked-up practices.  Actually the lucky old folks ARE
put down.  It's done carefully and quietly and it's never referred to as such but it
happens every day.  Thankfully.  When a doc writes the order for morphine "titrate
for effect", those are code words for the nurses to administer whatever dose is
necessary for comfort and if respiratory failure and death follows, well, that's
good.

After watching both my in-laws die of cancer, I can't imagine a more cruel thing to
do than prolong that kind of suffering.  I also can't imagine anything more cruel
than these self-righteous so-called "right to life"rs who would make people suffer
the most indescribable pain, pain worse than anyone could imagine.  Pain that no
amount of morphine will relieve. Pain that sucks the air out of the room. Pain that
shook me to my bones just being in the same room with it.

As my granny used to teach, "Don't pray for vengeance.  Pray that each person
receives according to his deeds".  My prayer is that every one of these R-T-L (sic)
types get to enjoy that kind of terminal pain AND that their caregivers are also
fundies who WON'T euthanize them.

I'm proud to say that my F-I-L finally put his wife down when her pain from untreated
breast cancer got to be unbearable.  A that point she was consuming around 2 30 cc
vials of morphine a day.  Just a little extra push and she was at peace.  Several
months later than she should have been, unfortunately.

My F-I-L also died of cancer.  Metastasized cancer settled in his neck and ate his
spine away.  For the last few months of his life, his skull was bolted to a halo to
hold his head up, as there was no spinal bone left.  Mercifully, the nurses at his
hospital "titrated for effect" and he finally passed peacefully.  They called us so
we could be at his bedside.  No words were exchanged but we knew.

It's always fascinated me that these so-called Christians (sic) fundies (force others
to) hang so tenaciously to life when there is Heaven on the other side.  If they
really believed, then it would seem reasonable to welcome death and the passage into
Heaven.  Perhaps in the depth of their cold little hearts they know that their
destination is somewhat different, reward for their hate-filled lives.

>Kyia won't be put down. I may re-consider when and if he can't walk at
>all anymore. This morning as a matter of fact, he seems like he has more
>energy. I couldn't believe the vet suggested it's time to put him down.
>Far from it. To be honest, it made me mad that she even suggested it at
>this point.

My most humble sympathies to your dog for having the bad luck of you as its owner. It
can't do anything about its condition.  And being isolated from nature in the
confines of your house, it is separated from nature's euthanasia.  You have total
control over that poor animal and you're going to impose your whacked-out nutter
beliefs on it.  I believe that there is a special place in hell for those who torture
animals and what you're proposing to do is pure torture.  If there is justice in this
world, you'll get to walk in those same shoes at your end of life.