Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Beheading
Date: 16 May 1997
Newsgroups: sci.med

In <5lfooj$jfr@news.ox.ac.uk> math0002@sable.ox.ac.uk (Marco de
Innocentis) writes:

>How long can does the head survive after you've been beheaded?
>
>Marco

  Consciousness lasts only 10-15 seconds after blood pressure goes to
zero.  How long the brain "survives" a blood pressure of zero is a
matter of philosophy.  What do you mean by "survive"?  Brain cells
don't blow up after 5 minutes, nor (unfortunately) do they issue up
little cellular ghosts, shaped like little neurons, but whispy and
transparent and with blank eye holes.  So how do you tell if a brain
cell is not only merely dead, but really most sincerely dead?  Goooood
question.

   With fancy drug protocols and machinery, dogs have been resuscitated
after as long as 15 minutes of normothermic total ischemia (cardiac
arrest), and they are about as sensitive to hypoxia as humans.  So the
brain lasts at least that long, at normal body temperature.  What's the
ultimate limit?  Hours, maybe?  Depends on your technology.  Also
depends on how much of the stored information you are willing to have
lost, and still count the "person" who results, as having "survived."

                                      Steve Harris, M.D.

From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Date: 17 May 1997
Newsgroups: sci.med

In <5lkj8f$8@news.ox.ac.uk> math0002@sable.ox.ac.uk (Marco de
Innocentis) writes:

>Thanks for the info, what I meant was how long consciousness lasts after
>you've been beheaded. Also, I would be curious to know: what does a
>person feel when he/she is beheaded? 10-15 seconds is a pretty long time
>in those circumstances. Do you feel pain? Are you still able to see/hear
>what's happening around you?
>
>Marco

   Here's where your French revolution scholar should be able to help.
I believe I've heard stories that you have about enough time to blink a
couple of times and look around a little.  Of course, the shock is
terrible, but the pain didn't seem to be incapacitating.  I have no
doubt whatsoever that people had the sensation of going numb below the
neck, and felt themselves take a "tumble" into the head basket.
Depending on how fast they pulled you out, you might even be able to
appreciate Madame DeFarge and the yelling crowds.  On in England, hear
the headsman say "Behold, the head of a traitor!"

                                            Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog