Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: Fibromyalgia?
Date: 3 Feb 2000 06:06:56 GMT

In <3897e243.20322565@news.wlg.ihug.co.nz>
kerryd@remove.this.bit.ihug.co.nz (Kerry) writes:

>This sounds like osteoarthritis of the 1st MCP/CMCs, which happens.
>Didn't he consider osteoarthritis?  No biochemistry confirms that, but
>clinical evaluation and examination would be able to.
>
>Common things happen commonly

   I have to agree.  It isn't unheard of for osteoarthritis to flare
and hit a number of joints at once.  Some metabolic/autoimmune thing
which affects many places.  Not a crazy idea.  In the past, people
noticed that obese people had more osteoarthritis of the knees, and
thought this was wear and tear.  Now we know obese people have more
osteoarthritis of the hands, also.  Since they don't walk on their
hands, there just be something metabolic there that we have yet to
figure out.

   It's correct for someone with a short history of joint pains at
several spots to see a rhematologist to have the nasty things ruled
out.  And there are medications ("-statin" type cholesterol drugs,
Fosamax, estrogen and so on, which may cause odd rheumatic symptoms
which don't necessarily show up on lab tests (not everyone with muscle
or joint pain from HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors has elevated CPKs--
there are probably several mechanisms for problems here).  Any recently
started medication just preceding any new ache or pain should arouse
suspicion, and be held or changed experimentally, unless it's very
difficult or dangerous to do so.

  The good news is that osteoarthris flares don't last forever, and
aren't generally crippling.  Treatment is with an NSAID and other
symptomatic and pain control modalities (including especially physical
therapy).  And obese people should think about getting back on that
diet.

Index Home About Blog