Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com (Steven B. Harris )
Subject: Re: ANOREXIA
Date: 17 Sep 1995
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative

In <43hpvk$epl@ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> basilisk@ix.netcom.com (Judy
Rucker) writes:

>I realize that it is necessary to use generalizations where medical
>treatment is concerned.  With millions of people, there are millions of
>variables where anything is concerned and generalities help us cope
>with that.  That said, I do want to point out that anorexia nervosa is
>one illness that has received a lot of coverage and the variations
>should be made clear.  For many years I thought I was not anorectic
>because I did not think I was fat.  You don't have to think you're fat
>and you don't have to be afraid of getting fat.  If you are starving,
>you have a problem and telling yourself that you don't have anorexia
>because you don't fit the typical profile can certainly help with the
>denial aspect of this illness.
>
>Judy

   Amen.  When starving people won't eat, and actively resist feeding by
every means you think of, that's anorexia nervosa.  I don't know whether
this is a disease or a syndrome or a bunch of conditions, but actually
it doesn't matter than much.  Once you have a label and recognize the
syndrome, you can get your patient into a clinic run by people who know
all the tricks people can play to starve themselves.  They've seen it
before, and aren't fooled.  Then you start to get people treated.
Otherwise they just keep starving.  Until they keel over and die.

                                            Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog