Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural
Subject: Re: Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:47:52 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:12 -0700 (PDT), GeneCook2008@gmail.com wrote:

>What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
>you get rid of it?

A couple of years ago I turned my mountain vacation cabin into my home.  The
attic was infested with squirrels.  Several bait boxes of D-con inside the
attic and a nice pellet gun outside took care of the problem in a few weeks.

I highly recommend both parts of the solution.  Squirrels will eat D-con about
as well as rats do.  And even the most dedicated house-squatters have to come
out to ferriage.  That's where the pellet gun comes in.  There's a nice one
available, complete with scope, at Wallyworld for under $100.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:37:52 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:45:22 -0700 (PDT), "hallerb@aol.com" <hallerb@aol.com>
wrote:

>geez most of you must get you jollies by killing life for no
>reason.........

Well yes, actually I do.  Achieving a head shot from 30 yards on a squirrel or
crow or other vermin is quite satisfying.  An eye shot is even better.

But that doesn't apply here since squirrels are little more than rats with
fluffy tails and they're being destructive.  Ergo, they're killed for a
reason.

>trap and relocate, seal up holes.

By "trap and relocate", you're really saying, "catch the vermin and dump him
out elsewhere to become someone else's problem.  That's sooooo considerate of
you.

Glad to see you have that kind of time on your hands.  I don't.  Or more
correctly, I have no time to waste preserving the lives of vermin.  This is
misc.rural.  You know, the country.  The opposite of city.  Where folks
eliminate vermin and pests forthright and get on with other things.

As for sealing the holes, well, since the vermin chewed holes in my eaves to
get in the attic in the first place, what would your odds be that sealing the
holes would pose anything more than a minor inconvenience?

>d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

Funny thing about that theory.  I've used the stuff all my life and never had
vermin die anywhere that produced an odor that I could smell.  My >theory< is
that the poisoned vermin go outside to die.

I have had a rat or mouse drag a sticky trap back into a wall and die.  Even
then, the odor only lasted a day or two.

>and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with
>concrete and wood?

Since he didn't solicit your opinion on that topic, I suggest MYOB.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:53:20 -0400

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:44:38 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>Lemme guess, you grew up in the city in a building that somebody else
>maintained and now you've moved to the mountains to live the Snuffy
>Smith lifestyle.

Not a very good guesser.  Born and raised in a small town.  Owned this cabin
since my mom and I built it in 1970.  I am enjoying the, as you call it,
Snuffy Smith lifestyle.  Slow paced, friendly neighbors, no TV or other
annoyances, hunting and fishing any time I want, almost zero cost of living,
etc.  Don't glow too green with envy.

>You might want to find some of your rural neighbors who grew up there
>and find out what they think of your strategy of spending the rest of
>your life putting out dcon and shooting squirrels with a pellet gun
>instead of FIXING THE DAMNED HOLE.  Be prepared to become a
>laughingstock.

Actually, my neighbors have supplied my ammunition, they're so pleased that
I've ridded the place of vermin.  Mine isn't the only place that has been
trashed by the fuzzy-tailed rats.  One neighbor, in particular, calls me up
whenever she sees a vermin on the loose, chiding me for dropping the ball on
my job.

Interestingly enough, the same thing happened when I spent a couple of years
living in a city sub-division (never again!).  My new neighbor saw me carrying
in an arm-load of rifles and came running.  I ducked, thinking I was going to
have to deal with an anti-gun nut.  Instead, she introduced herself and the
practically begged me to start killing squirrels.  That I did, bagging over
100 out of that little 1 acre wooded back yard.

Tony, my huge orange tabby, had a bountiful feast that summer, eating
everything but the squeak.  I started spine-shooting the squirrels so that he
could enjoy the actual kill.