Index Home About Blog
From: "Paul F Austin" <paustin@digital.net>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: first gun: colt .45 defender- yes,no?
Date: 26 Nov 1999 10:12:33 -0500

mterka@attglobal.net wrote
#gunga wrote:
#
## I am considering the purchase of a Colt .45 "defender" pistol
## exclusively for self defensed purposes in the home.  As this would be
## my first, and very possibly only, hand gun I am looking for advice from
## more experienced shooters on the merits of this selection for my
## intended purposes.
#
#Well, I own a Defender and am pleased with it. But I will say something...the
#Defender was designed for concealed carry work. Not that its bad for home
#defense, its just that if you weren't planning to carry concealed, in my
#opinion
#you would be better off selecting a full size Government Model style 1911.
#
#There are lots of things to consider. I was in your place a couple of years
#ago, buying my first handgun. But I started out with a .22 revolver to
#practice with, then went with a 9mm auto. Finally, I stepped up to the .45. I
#got so used to the .45's heavier recoil that I can shoot accurately the
#Defender and certainly my full size 1991 .45. Now, my 9mm is like shooting a
#.22.
#
#The Defender is a fine gun. It is superbly accurate, light to carry and
#reliable. But. like I said, it was meant to be a "carry-gun". If someday you
#decide to get your concealed handgun license, then yes, this would be the one
#and only pistol for yourself. But if you choose to limit yourself to home
#defense only, then I thnink you may have other choices.

As I said, I carry a Defender and shoot about 20 rounds a month through it.
My _practice_ gun is a Officer's Model with a King's compensated barrel. The
comp takes a lot of the sting out and the increased weight of a steel frame
makes the recoil quite mild.

I know that sounds wussy but consider this: one of the members of my club
shot 200 rounds of hardball through his Service Pistol over Christmas 1996.
He developed tremendous tendonitis to the point where he couldn't pick up a
gun. What you have to do with tendonitis is stop shooting completely while
it heals (about 6 months). Gil didn't. As soon as it stopped hurting, he'd
"take it easy" and shoot 50 rounds. Tendonitis back again. Wait a three
weeks or a month for the inflamation to die down and shoot 50 more rounds.
Gil is permanently crippled now: he can't shoot _any_ pistol.

I've had a run-in with tendonitis and had to stop shooting for 6 months. I'm
_very_ carefull about cummulative damage from recoil. When you're in your
twenties and thirties, you feel immortal. You to will reach fifty and you'll
want to be able to shoot for another twenty years or more from then. Don't
blow it.

You _need_ to practice. Just don't do it in a way that will damage you.

--
Conscience, that quiet voice that says "Someone may be watching"

Paul F Austin
paustin@digital.net

Index Home About Blog