Index Home About Blog
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Unertl Target Scopes
Date: 17 Jul 90 00:04:44 GMT

In article <45124@ism780c.isc.com> john@wa3wbu.uu.net (John Gayman) writes:
>Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantage, desirability, operation
>of Unertl scopes ?  ...

The long-range shooters like the Unertls because the external
adjustments are positive, and the scopes hold up better in heavy recoil
with the sliding-type mount with return spring, than the internal
adjustment types. I have become disgusted with trying to keep my
Leupold scopes in repair, as they will not maintain parallax adjustment
with extended use in anything heavier in recoil than a 6 mm PPC. Clint
Fowler, Bert Rollins and Steve Merritt, all local VA team shooters here
have given up on any kind of an internal adjustment scope for their
1000 yard target rifles. You can adjust a Unertl and know it will move,
whereas I see at benchrest matches all the time people who are fighting
unknown variables, chasing demons when they really have scope problems.
I have demonstrated this to several shooters simply changing scopes on
their rifles and all of their "problems" went away. The only internal
adjustment scope I have which seems to be worth a hoot is a Zeiss
Diatal-C 10x36mm. It is rugged, repeatable and dependable. But I have
probably bought my last Leupold, and I have a 36X benchrst scope which
is available cheap to anybody who wants to use it on a light recoilling
popgun. I will swap even on anybody's 20-year old, beat up basket-case
1-1/2" Unertl of 16X or more. I don't care about condition, as Unertl
will rebuilds them like new for peanuts. GOT ANY UNERTL SCOPES YOU WANT
SELL???????????????

--

	Ed Harris at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org

From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Unertl scopes
Date: 25 Jul 90 02:15:40 GMT

In article <45124@ism780c.isc.com> john@wa3wbu.uu.net (John Gayman) writes:
>Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantage, desirability, operation
>of Unertl scopes ?  ...

Many of the benchrest and long-range target shooters I know, Clinton O.
Fowler, Bert Rollins, and Steve Merritt, of the VA State Assn. have all
gone back to Unertls because they are more rugged than an internal
adjustment scope, as far as holding zero and parallax adjustments in a
heavy recoilling rifle. My experience with a number of Leupold scopes
is that they stand up OK on hunting rifles if you zero them and forget
tham, but for benchrest work, you often have to set-set the parallax
after each record target, and the settings do not repeat. I have
diagnosed many peoples rifle problems chasing phantim variables in
benchrest rifles which simply went away when we changed scopes. I have
a Leupold 36X for sale which has just been rebuilt for the third time,
and I am looking for a Unertl BV-20 to replace it with. Unertl scopes
are a fine buy for the money, whether new or used. If you need a used
one rebuilt they will do it reasonably. They are about 6 mos. behind on
orders for new scopes, but you can write them at 1224 Freedom Road,
Mars, PA 16046-8801, telephone 412-776-9700. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!