Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.guns
From: Ed.Harris@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Subject: Re: Mini-30 reloading warning
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 17:54:48 GMT

In article <1990May3.171842.19435@ism.isc.com> markl@neptune.amd.com
(Mark Luedtke) writes:

>I noticed that Ruger warns against using reloaded ammo.  Is this just for
>liability or what?  I've never known of problems with guns when my dad used
>to reload.  What's the scoop here?

When I worked at the company, the policy was to officially discourage
reloads, in the way of a disclaimer, but at the same time to recognize
that people would use them. Since the firearm manufacturer has no control
over reloads which might be used, it makes sense to disclaim any
reliability for their use, but at the same time, we tested the Mini-30
with reloaded ammunition, and I in fact had several pressure/velocity
test barrels made to look at the results which might be obtained using
.308" diameter bullets vs. .310" or .312", and the effects upon pressure
and accuracy of different types of components. This is necessary to
ensure the design limits of the gun are realistic. We also tested cast
lead GC bullets to ensure there would be no adverse effects upon safety
or funcion. Still, they to not condone the use of reloads, and this gives
them a "way out" it is appears that defective ammunition was used. In
most high-pressure incidents power mix-ups are involved. The "brass
Fairy" usually destroys the evidence, but there are ways to tell,
usuyally by microscopic examination of the cartridge case for draw
scratches or other tool marks from the reloading process, or from
previous firings. If the firearm was not obviously abused, the warranty
will still be honored. It does no harm when returning a rifiele or
handgun to customer service to explain what reloads you are using, as it
may help diagnose the problem. The biggest potential problem in the
Mini-14 or any semi-auto is a reload which contains a primer but no
powder, which lodges a bullet in the forcing cone. If another round is
chambered behind it BIG trouble! If cannelured bullets are securely
crimped, the next round will jam, rather than telescoping back into the
case. This alerts the firer something is WRONG!!!- - as should any
disruption in the normal routine. These precautions are not fail safe,
but all cautionary measures reduce your risk of accident.

--

	Ed Harris at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Ed.Harris@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Index Home About Blog