Index Home About Blog
From: Rock McMillan <mcbros@indirect.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Controlled Feed, Push Feed ?
Date: 1 Dec 1995 17:49:23 -0500

Control feed like the old Winchesters (Pre 64), 98 Mausers and the
new Ruger Mark 2 is when the cartridge is captured under the
extractor as it feeds from the magazine.  The feeling today is that
this is better for dangerous game because you eliminate the
possibility of double feeding and the you can cycle the bolt with the
rifle upside down (why you would want to I don't know).  Control feed
actions usually have larger extractors and people think that you get
more positive extraction with them.

Push feed rifles like the Remington 700 have a spring plunger ejector
in the bolt face that must be depressed before the cartridge can move
under the extractor, this happens as the bolt is closed over the
cartridge in the chamber.  The cartridge is only captured under the
extractor as the bolt is closed.  If in the process of chambering a
round you pull the bolt back to the rear stop it is possible to pick
up another round from the magazine when you run to bolt forward, this
has the effect of trying to shove both rounds into the chamber. If
this happens your screwed because it often requires a little work to
get things sorted out.

Our experience is that push feed rifles in general are more accurate,
I have my theory about why this is so and will share it with anyone
interested.

Bottom line, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.  You will
get arguments from both sides and it really doesn't matter, shoot
what you are comfortable with.

Index Home About Blog