Index Home About Blog
From: dwwhite@ix.netcom.com (Doug White)
Subject: Re: High Standard Ejector Question

In <36vkv6$aaj@xring.cs.umd.edu> Tim Moore <tmoore@tinton.ccur.com> writes:
#
#	I noticed that a friend of mine's Citation (a real one) has
#what appears to be an extended ejector.  My Victor (also real) has
#a standard ejector and Im having trouble getting 100% reliable
#ejection (case doessn't clear the gun).  His ejector is .100 longer
#than mine.  He claims it came on the gun.  Anybody know anything about
#this?
#
#Thanks, Tim

High Standard had ejection problems when they first developed the Victors,
because the design was based on their open topped pistols (like the Citation),
which are much more forgiving.  The rib on the Victor (particularly because
of its concave underside) can trap brass that would otherwise be tossed clear.
They tried several different ejector 'nose' shapes, and I believe the one
they settled on is the short one you have.

Now, if you are still having problems, there are some things to check.  I'd
start with a good cleaning and oiling.  Pay particular attention to the
extractor and bolt face.  A grubby gun can easily be the source of your
trouble.

Another is that your ejector isn't too low.  If the top of the knurled round
part in the frame is below the top surface of the frame, you could try
raising it.  They're jammed in pretty tight into an angled hole, and you have
to be careful when you do this, or you'll loosen the pin up or chew up the
frame.  Raising the ejector will tend to kick the brass out sideways more
than up, which may help.

From talking to some real experts, the most common problem is that the
EXTRACTOR isn't holding the brass properly.  Take off the slide, and try
clipping a loaded round under the extractor hook.  Hold the slide
horizontally.  If there isn't enough tension to hold the case in place
against the slide face, that can be a problem.  Some times this can be
fixed by replacing the extractor with a new one.  In severe cases, I know
one gunsmith who made them up from scratch with a slightly shorter hook.
Also, check the spring and plunger to make sure they're working OK, and
look to see if the extractor hook is SHARP.  This helps bite into the brass
a bit, and ensures proper extraction.

As a last resort, the newer models have the underside of the rib milled
out over the ejection area to provide a bit more clearance.  If everything
else is done right, this shouldn't be neccessary.  I've got two Victors
that work great with the original rib design.

Good luck!

Doug White
MIT Pistol and Rifle Club

Index Home About Blog