Index Home About Blog
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Long-term storage of weapons
Date: 11 Aug 90 00:09:12 GMT

In article <8013@orca.wv.tek.com> micke@efd.lth.se (Mikael G. Niklasson)
writes:

>Does somebody in Netland have some good suggestions regarding long-
>time underground storage of weapons and ammo.

The best rust preventive preparation I have found is the Lee Liquid
Alox bullet lubricant. This is actually the same material used by the
Ziebart Co. to rustproof automobiles, and is a mixture of 45% calcium
soap and 45% mineral spirits (petroleum distillates). According to Alox
Corp., who sell the product under the stoc no. 606-55, this material
was intended to be sprayed on to protect naval machinery on the decks
of ships against salt spray. It is very much like the cosmolene grease
used on weapons during WWII, except that it does not have to be heated
to be applied, and it can be readily thinned by dilution with mineral
spirits, or heated in a double-boiler (taking proper precautions
against fire). I have used this on weapons which have been exposed to
complete salt water immersion, and it did a better job protecting them
than anything else I have used. The only drawback is that it dries hard
and is somewhat difficult to remove, but the material does come off
readily with military rifle bore cleaner (Mil-C-372B or Mil-L-63460),
or by use of steam cleaning, a vapor degreaser or scrubbing with
ordinary firearms cleaners. It must be removed from the bore prior to
firing, as would any grease or wax, because it would constitute a bore
obstruction. If you wanted to bury a gun in a container for several
years, and have it ready for future use, I would clean and lubricate it
well with Mil-L-63460, known commercially as Break Free CLP, then coat
all exposed metal surfaces with Lee Liquid Alox. If you need to be able
to fire the weapon soon after taking out of the container, do not put
the Alox 606-55 in the bore. The Mil-L-63460 will protect it. I would
then wrap the weapon up in sheet polyethylene plastic, containing
about 100g of silica gel packets, and place the whole thing in a hard
gun case, preferably made of fiberglas or ABS plastic with rubber
gaskets, wrap this in a tarpaulin, and bury it on a slope with good
drainage, where it is protected by overhanging rocks or trees.
Ammunition should be sealed in plastic bags, then placed in military
style steel ammunition cans, which have been thoroughly coated with
Alox 606-55, then wrapped in plastic and buried. All the seams of the
plastic wrappings should be sealed with tape. If you use fresh
ammunition of good quality and it is protected from heat and light, it
will be OK in storage for at least 40 years.

--

	Ed Harris at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org

From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Preserving firearms
Date: 13 Sep 90 16:52:36 GMT

In article <8584@orca.wv.tek.com>
Gale.Barrows@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Gale Barrows) writes:

>lubrication without runny oil. Ed Harris has what sounds like a great
>method using ALOX. Hopefully he will repost his methods.

You asked that I re-post a previous message about use of Lee Liquid
Alox for long-term storage of firearms.  This material is 55% calcium
soap and 45% mineral spirits and is made by Alox Corp. for use as a
corrosion preventive on steel parts and machinery subjected to highly
corrosive environments, such as salt spray on the decks of naval
vessels, steel piers to be driven into salt water, etc.  It is the same
material that Ziebert uses to rust-proof your car.  I use it as a
substitute for cosmolene, but it is a preservative, not a lubricant.
For long term storage where you would want to remove the firearm for
immediate use, I would clean and lubricate the bore and moving parts
with Break Free CLP or Mil-L-63460, and then liberaly apply Lee Liquid
Alox to the exterior surfaces and wrap silica gel packets with the
rifle in a plastic overwrap, then place the weapon in a gun case or
cache can with the edges sealed with duct tape and daubed with Lee
Liquid Alox around the seams and hinges.  If you bury the weapon on
sloped ground with good drainage, preferably with overhanging rocks or
vegetation to protect it it will be safe for a long time.  Ammunition
should be packed in steel M2A1 metal cans which are slobbered outside
with the liquid Alox, wrapped in plastic and securely taped.  If buried
deep enough to protect them from heating over 80 degree F. in the
summer heat, fresh ammo should be good at least 40 years.  If you want
to get the Alox material in bulk, it is produced under the stock number
Alox 606-55 and is sold in 5 gal. drums by the Alox Corp., Niagara
Falls, NY.