Index Home About Blog
From: Doug Gwyn <gwyn@smoke.brl.mil>
Subject: mini-review of Pro-Line holster

I thought there might be some interest in an evaluation of a holster
from Pro-Line (who advertise in newsstand gun magazines and whose
products are often mentioned in articles about holsters):

A couple of months back, I placed a telephone order with Pro-Line
for an inside-the-waistband holster for my Glock-22.  Yesterday it
arrived and here are my early impressions.

Pro-Line holsters are hand-made to order, which is why it takes a
while for delivery.  Their holsters are made from horsehide, which
is extremely stiff leather.  The model I ordered was "IWB #2", and
each Pro-Line holster is molded for the SPECIFIC gun model (as
opposed to being "generic" holsters for all guns in a certain size
range); the holster is "form fit" to such a degree that there is
accommodation for the slide release lever and a section that snaps
into the ejection port.  (Naturally the trigger is completely
enclosed; the leather is so stiff that I would have no hesitation
about carrying the G22 with a round chambered, using this holster.)
I also ordered a belt (up to 40" stock, occasionally larger sizes
are available, depending on the specific horsehide supply that
they have on hand at the time) and a dual magazine pouch (also
"form fit").  The mag pouch has a screw for adjusting tension.

After reading the enclosed literature, the first thing I did was to
insert my G22 into the holster (not yet wearing it).  The second
thing I TRIED to do was to pull the G22 back out of the holster.
At least that was my intention, and I was initially very alarmed
when I couldn't withdraw the weapon from the holster; it was REALLY
stuck.  Eventually I got the bright idea of going ahead and wearing
the holster, then I yanked on the gun and it snapped right out (but
it did take a real yank; a gradual pull wasn't working).  I tried
this insert/remove cycle several times, and by golly the gun does
snap reliably out of the holster if you are wearing the holster and
make a deliberate effort to draw the weapon.  This is actually a
great feature!  There is NO WAY that the gun is going to fall out of
this holster no matter how "rough-and-tumble" the situation might
become.  There is also not much chance of a successful "gun grab".
And if you leave the weapon lying around in the holster, for example
while taking a shower, attempts by others to draw it will be foiled
(you need to remember this yourself, of course!).

Concealment was excellent; any light jacket would be enough cover
to fool anyone except an expert gun spotter.  Worn at the right
location, the gun was not in the way for sitting nor lying on my
back, and it didn't interfere appreciably with arm movement.  The
gun was held a bit high for a real "fast draw", but that is not the
primary goal of this style of holster.  (Pro-Line also makes the
"Thomas Perfectionist" high-riding IWB holster for several gun
models, not including the Glock however.)

Workmanship and materials were first-rate.  If you require top
quality in a holster and are willing to pay for it, I recommend
you contact Pro-Line (see ads for phone number and address).

From: Doug Gwyn <gwyn@smoke.brl.mil>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on holsters for Glock 19

In article <2i4sq8$amf@mailer.fsu.edu> boyd@gauss.math.fsu.edu (Mickey
Boyd) writes:

#I highly recommend an inside-the-pant strong side hip holster, given that
#it has a steel band at the mouth.  This is very important, IMHO.  A steel
#band will prevent tension from the belt (or bending over, or whatever)
#from changing the retension characteristics of the holster.  ...

An alternative is the really stiff horsehide used by Greg Kramer
(formerly Pro-Line holsters).

I think high-riding IWB is best, because one does want to be
comfortable when driving, etc.

Index Home About Blog