Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Lapping a barrel
Date: 12 Mar 1999 19:18:23 -0500

Since you asked I would be glad to explain why a bore guide is not a good
thing. There has to be some looseness of the rod to guide which allows
the rod to flex when being pushed in and out. Because you feel that you
are protecting the bore you take less care to make sure the rod is
entering the barrel straight and the guide causes the rod to rub the
rifling in the same place each stroke.I can usually tell if a barrel was
cleaned with a rod guide when I inspect it with a bore scope. The rifling
will show wear on the bottom of the barrel. I have seen barrels that the
rifling was worn completely away in one long streak. If you don't use a
guide the rod will rub the side of the barrel but it will rub one side and
then another place the next stroke so it eventually rubs equally all
around the bore instead of concentrating all the wear in one spot. The wear
is general so it takes longer for it to effect performance. Most actions
warp during heat treat and the bolt way is not true to the bore which also
attributes to the guide causing wear in the same place all the time. While
I am at it I may as well mention some of the other fads because I know I
will be asked. Fire lapping. It wears the bore choke bored (smaller at the
muzzle and wears the rifling away only on the pressure side as it it try's
to go straight against the twist of the rifling. JB bore cleaner. Polishes
the bore removing the finish the barrel maker lapped it to get and makes
the bore ununiform in diminution because it is abrasive put on with a soft
patch. Molly coating bullets. You are replacing copper fouling with Molly
fowling which changes barrel dimensions and is hard enough it has to be
cut out with an abrasive to remove it. One thing I didn't mention is the
barrel fluting fad. If it is done correctly at the proper place in the
barrel manufacturing it doesn't hurt a barrel but done at the end of the
process it does. A fluted barrel that shoots well does it in spite of
being fluted not because of it.

From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: ***Cleaning barrel question***
Date: 11 Feb 1999 15:43:31 -0500

Never ever clean from the muzzle if you can clean through the breach. The
possibility of damage to the crown is high and since the crown is the most
delicate part of your rifle then you want to protect it .

Index Home About Blog