Index Home About Blog
From: bartb@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt)
Subject: Anti-Fog Stuff

Oft times, we shooters do our thing in environments that cause our glasses
to fog up from our warm breath.  Such a darn thing to put up with, but can
easily and inexpensively be cured.

Several anti-fog compounds are packaged and marketed expressly for this
purpose.  They cost quite a bit, some work great but others are a total
failure.  Virtually all of 'em have one common component that makes 'em
work: glycerine.

Glycerine just happens to be a high-percentage ingredient in hand soap.
The stuff marketed for women has a higher percentage than the other types.
it has more glycerine in it.  But most any soap works pretty good.

So, cut off a piece of hand soap, smear it on your previously cleaned
eyeglasses, then, using a clean, cotton cloth, rub the streaked soap all
over the lenses to where it's not visible any more.  Works fine, lasts a
long time and works better in my opinion than any of the stuff you pay
a buck or more per half-ounce for.

Some soap brands/types tend to be better than others.  Nutragena (sp?)
has about the highest glycerine content of any soap.  It's a bit softer
than most soaps, but rubbing your finger on it, then smearing it on your
eyeglasses works fine.  I take a chunk of it and put it in a clear,
plastic 35mm film can.  Ivory soap has also proved excellent.

BB

From: bartb@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt)
Subject: Re: Anti-Fog Stuff

Frank Ball (frankb@sad.hp.com) wrote:

: If glycerine is the magic stuff, why not go to the drugstore and buy
: a bottle of it instead of messing around with different soaps? (dishsoap
: is supposed to work to).  It is cheap and non-perscription.  I have
: some at home-I'll have to try it out.

Frank has a good idea.  This might be a good thing.

I've also tried `Pure Pleasure' glycerine soap.  It cost 49 cents at
Walmart for a 3.5-oz. bar; about one fourth the cost of `Neutrogena'
soap.

Another great use of these anti-fog soaps is they can be put on your
front sight's spirit level to cut the reflecting sun's glare that makes
the aperture hard to see.  I experimented with several things this last
year and found these glycerine soaps to put a pretty good non-reflective
coating on the spirit level.  I tried Scotch tape, but it masked the level
too much to see.  Just rub the soap stuff on the bubble in a vertical
direction with your finger (or cue-tip), but don't wipe it clear like you
do for your eyeglasses.  There's a hint of glint from the reflected sun,
but it's about an order of magnitude better than anything else I've tried.

BB

Index Home About Blog