Index Home About Blog
From: gmk@falstaff.MAE.CWRU.EDU (Geoff Kotzar)
Subject: Re: Loads for .38 Spl./.357 Mag.

In article <C30xx2.3Dw@SSD.intel.com> hays@SSD.intel.com (Kirk Hays) writes:
#In article <93055.160142TTC103@psuvm.psu.edu>, TTC103@PSUVM.PSU.EDU writes:
#
#|>      Is it ok to use a very light bullet of .355 diameter (ie. say a 85 gr JHP
#|> for the 380 ACP) in a high velocity .357 Mag. load?  If so, can it achieve
#|> velocities that will defeat body armor? (ie. illegal ammo)
#
#
#Depending on the threat level of the armor, it may or may not defeat
#it.  The only way to know for sure is to test it.
#
#Anybody with P. O. Ackley's nomograms at hand, to determine how fast
#an 85 grain pill can be safely driven from the .357?

Not from P.O. Ackley's works but from an old Handloader article the author
of the article was able to achieve something on the order of 2000 fps with
the 80-90 grain projectiles and 6+ inch barrels. I at one time was going to
try duplicating his loads and copied them down for reference. If you are
interested I can try to find them for you.

geoff kotzar

Index Home About Blog