Index Home About Blog
From: mannj@southern.co.nz (Jay Mann)
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Sunlight and Milk Packaging?
Date: 30 Sep 1997 04:16:42 GMT

MFiner (mfiner@aol.com) wrote:
: How much does light break down the vitamins in milk that has been packaged
: in translucent containers.  Is the breakdown counteracted in so far as the
: fact that most milk is fortified with a and D?

Consumer studies done here show that the taste of milk exposed to light via
glass or clear plastic containers is easily detectable as inferior to that
of milk stored in waxed-paper containers.  Nevertheless an awful lot of milk
is sold in clear containers.  I suspect the light effect is related to
formation of free radicals and subsequent fat oxidation.  I'm not aware that
vitamins A and D are sensitive to oxidation.

Jay D Mann  <mannj@southern.co.nz>
Christchurch, New Zealand

Index Home About Blog