Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Subject: Re: Hott Rod electric water heating element
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 19:21:27 EDT
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

andersa4@mvtel.net wrote:

> Here's a post script to my post.  I delimed the w.h.tank with 5% muriatic
> acid when I installed the HR. To fit the thermostat it was necessary to cut
> a rectangle in the galvanized case with a Dremel cutting tool. I fed the
> cord through to the rear kitchen outlet so we could plug the heater in as
> desired.  The anode never showed no signs of shrinkage due to
> mineralization.

Here's a little tip re: deliming.  Use phosphoric acid instead of
hydrochloric acid.  It is almost as powerful for removing lime but
is very much less corrosive and leaves a passivating phosphate film
on steel surfaces.  In normal concentrations it won't burn the skin
and is non-toxic (ingredient of Coke) with reasonable dilution.  Can
be bought at Tractor Supply Company (or other farm supply cos.) as
"Milk Stone Remove".  This is about 35% phosphoric acid, a detergent
and a bright orange dye to indicate when it is all removed.  Used in
dairies for removing calcium buildup.  About $5 a gallon.  Works
great.  Use it in the restaurant to delime steam boilers.