Index Home About Blog
From: ahahma@polaris.utu.fi (Arno Hahma)
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
Subject: Re: elimination of large rocks
Date: 24 Jun 91 18:12:31 GMT

In article <2826@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> rziegler@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Robert Ziegler) writes:

>>very little about explosives chemistry (my Chem is not bad, but
>>"light the green fuse and stand way the hell away" is the extent of
>>my explosive experience).

If that is the case, I'd recommend asking an experienced person to
break the rock for you. It is quite possible to blow it up without
disturbing the cave systems or causing any noticeable noise. I have seen
a rock being blown up because a dog had been stuck under it. The dog
didn't get a scratch, but it did get a little scared ;-).

>Generally caves and exposives don't mix.  The shock wave created by the blast
>would damage many of the formations within the cave, if not destroying the

It is not necessary to use that much of an explosive.

>Is the rock small enough that you could dig under it and tie a rope to it.
>A couple of strong college guys, some rope, and a few pullys can work
>wonders.

Agreed. If the rock weighs less than a few hundred kg, this could
be the easiest way. But if you have no place to tie the rope to, then
you have to use other means. I once had to blow a stone under a shed. The
shed is still there, the rock isn't ;-).

ArNO
    2

Index Home About Blog