Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
From: nelson@cs.rochester.edu (Randal Nelson)
Subject: Re: Demonstration of LOX?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:58:53 GMT

In article <353EB513.377A@earthlink.net>,
Chris Spurrell  <falcons@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Howdy
>
>At the oil refinery where I work I routinely give a safety class on the
>hazards of oxidizers. That's because we routinely use, or have used,
>fairly prodigious (tons) amounts of Cl2, H2O2, NaClO2, KClO3, KMnO4,
>NH4NO3, Ca(ClO)2, NaClO, NaNO2, NaNO3 and K2Cr2O7 (I've probably missed
>a couple).
>
>Well, the dear folks here have decided to go for an "O2 Enrichment
>Process" and we will now have a tank of liquid oxygen on site. Oh My
>God!
>
>So my question is.  Do any of you folks know of a good, well tested, and
>safe demonstration to show the hazards of LOX?

My organic chem teacher used to dump some on a big handful of cotton
waste and ignite it with a four foot long stick.
Big whump!! and the front row students were covered with bits of
cotton.  Always impressed me.

RN

--
  Randal Nelson			 716-275-8488	University of Rochester
		      nelson@cs.rochester.edu	Computer Science Department

Index Home About Blog