Index Home About Blog
Subject: Re: 128 Bit Computing
From: mash@mash.engr.sgi.com (John R. Mashey)
Date: Oct 15 1996
Newsgroups: comp.arch

In article <53tn3k$mq5@news.ox.ac.uk>, mert0236@sable.ox.ac.uk (Thomas
Womack) writes:

|> Brig Campbell (brig@sequent.com) wrote:
|> : Will the natural evolution of CPU design lead to
|> : a 128bit processor?
|>
|> Do you mean width of register, width of address bus or width of data bus?
|> I'd be very happy in many applications with 128-bit or even 256-bit registers
|> (cryptography, noticably). I think some of the Alpha motherboards have a
|> 256-bit data bus to the DRAM (8x interleaving - good for performance but
|> appalling if you want to upgrade your RAM other than by throwing it away
|> and buying new chips). On the other hand, 16 million million megabytes of
|> address space seems slightly extravagent

As has been discussed here, and in that old BYTE article, there is a *long*
history in computing that the phrase "X is an N-bit CPU" meant that tha
architecturally-visible size of the integer (or general-purpose) registers
was N bits.

Bus width is an *implementation* issue, and members of the same family can,
and often do, have a wide range of bus widths, and different bus widths in
different places (such as L2 caches, system bus, etc) ...

Family		Architecture		Bus widths
S/360		32			8, 16, 32, 64 (at least)
PDP-11		16			16, 32, 64 (at least)
VAX		32			32, 64 (at least)
X86 (386->)	32			16, 32, 64
68K		32			8, 16, 32, 64
MIPS (32)	32			32
MIPS (64)	64			32, 64, 128, 256
					(note R8000 cache-bus <-> memory
					== 256, and various members' L2 cache:
					128 bits)

Size of FP registers is also irrelevant to common nomenclature: nobody calls
an X86 an 80-bit chip; many 32-bit architectures have 64-bit FP registers.

This common practice:
	- is not necessarily right.
	- is sometimes disobeyed by marketing.
	- but has been the common practice for a long time.

--
-john mashey    DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>
UUCP:    mash@sgi.com

From: mash@mash.engr.sgi.com (John R. Mashey)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: N-bit OS's (was Re: 486 versus Pentium)
Date: 2 Jun 1997 23:59:41 GMT

Traditionally, if a CPU was labeled N-bit:
	- integer registers were N bits
	- (convenient) addresses were N bits, or perhaps slightly less.
See BYTE, September 1991, page 136 for a big table of these for
various machines.

External bus widths, floating point widths, segmented addresses, etc,
have generally been irrelevant [for example, S/360s were 32-bit,
but had implementations of 8, 16, 32, and 64-bit busses, etc]

The MC68000 (ignoring high 8 bits) was a direct repeat of the S/360:
both 32-bit machines with 24-bit addresses, and no high-byte check,
and similar consequences.

Sometimes a CPU usefully supports 2 sizes of N, i.e.,
	X86: 16 & 32
	Alpha, MIPS R4K & later: 32- and 64-bit
at which point one may see both sizes used for operating systems,
i.e., using the smaller size of existing OSs, then converting to
the larger size over time.

User programs also vary, with several systems being willing to
mix user-level codes of different sizes.

Sometimes marketing diverges from engineering practice...
and these days, the tendency is to attempt to label something as 64-bit
if anything is 64-bit anywhere :-)

Despite the horror that this creates in various people, some people
use C with 64-bit "long long" and 32-bit pointers to get speedups on
32-bit code where big addresses are not relevant, but bigger
integer performance is, i.e., like on Nintendo N64s or various other
embedded applications.

--
-john mashey    DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer: I speak for me only...>
EMAIL:  mash@sgi.com  DDD:    415-933-3090	FAX: 415-967-8496

Index Home About Blog