Index Home About Blog
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.chem.analytical
Subject: Re: silver nitrate as a standard solution
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:05:57 GMT

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:39:10 GMT, energo1@home.com (Energo Ed) wrote:

>,;On 17 Apr 2000 23:06:29 GMT, snumber6@aol.com (SNUMBER6) wrote:
>,;
>,;>Silver Nitrate is used as a primary standard ... and need not be calibrated ...
>,;>Since Silver solutions are known to decompose it is a good idea to check for
>,;
>,;???? Silver nitrate is not a primary standard.  Perhaps you meant
>,;sodium chloride is the primary standard?

It can be. #6 was/is correct. Silver nitrate is available in high
enough purity to be used as a primary standard.

I would refer you to two texts

1. Quantitative Analysis by Harvey Diehl (Iowa State)

Harvey was meticulous and if he said it I would be inclined to believe
it. Such a versatile talent who never received the credit he deserved.

2. Textbook of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis by Kolthoff and
Sandell. (University of Minnesota) Both have impeccable reputations.

In addition K & S give a procedure to recrystallize and remove
occluded water to prepare high purity silver nitrate from a less pure
product.

Even though one has prepared a standard solution of silver nitrate
good practice requires one to titrate known standards to determine any
indicator blank.

A dark glass bottle and storage in the dark are recommended. If stored
properly the solutions are quite stable.

From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.chem.analytical
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:02:19 GMT

On 18 Apr 2000 21:05:04 GMT, snumber6@aol.com (SNUMBER6) wrote:

>,;>From: dwilkins@wcta.net  (Don Wilkins)
>,;
>,;>1. Quantitative Analysis by Harvey Diehl (Iowa State)
>,;>
>,;>Harvey was meticulous and if he said it I would be inclined to believe
>,;>it. Such a versatile talent who never received the credit he deserved.
>,;
>,;You know him also ?? That ISU faculty in the 70's really had a slew of good
>,;people ... Angelici, Diehl, Espenson, Fassel, Verkade ...Not to forget Corbett
>,;or Jacobson .. and those grand old men Gillman and Spedding ...

Yes Harvey was a personal friend for a good many years. Although I got
my degree at the U of Illinois my research director had a couple of
his students on the faculty at ISU. In addition my research director
and Harvey were both at Michigan under Willard.

Back on topic. Silver nitrate can and has been used as a primary
standard for a long time. Your 30 years may be a tad low. The first
edition of Kolhtoff was 1936.

Index Home About Blog