Index Home About Blog
From: glhurst@onr.com (Gerald L. Hurst)
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: What is the difference between KEROSINE oil and ODORLESS MINERAL
	OIL
Date: 11 Jan 1996 09:56:49 GMT

In article <4d2m4v$p1b@news.asiaonline.net>, susana@asiaonline.net
(susana chan) says:

>>I have a lamp that came with oil that is odorless. The lamp is a fine piece
>>of glass art. it is like a klein bottle, and totally transparent. The inlet
>>for oils is open, and there is no mechanical part, not even a screw. After
>>several years, the oil has not evaporated. The oil is odorless. Now I know
>>that traditionally such  lamps use kerosine oil. I wonder where to get this
>>odorless oil. What is it? Some people say that it is deodorised kerosine
>>oil. I wonder what is difference between a deodorised kerosine oil and
>>non-deodorised one. How to deodorise kerosine oil?
>
>I have the same problem as you. I have put the same question in the
>newgroup just at the end of 1995 but I can't get any answer. If you
>get any method to deodorise the kerosine, please teach me.
>On the other hand I found fuming sulphuric acid may be used to wash
>the kerosine but I have not tried. It is harmful to breathe that acid.
>Take care.

Let me tell you what little I know.

Sulfur compounds seem to be the culprits in hydrocarbons. They are
removed along with nitrogen compounds by passing the petroleum
vapors over catalysts at high temperatures. My guess is that
odorless kerosene and mineral oil are probably also treated with
activated carbon.  You can get at least most of the way there
by buying 1-k kerosene aka k-1, which is specified by kerosene
heater manufacturers.

Anyway, truly odorless kerosene or its near equivalent odorless #2
diesel fuel oil are available commercially at a reasonable
price. The materials are used, inter alia, to make ANFO
for blasting minerals intended as additives for cattle food.
It seems the cattle or at least their milk consumers do not
like the taste of kerosene.

Jerry (Ico)

Index Home About Blog