Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Cleaning Oxidised Copper
From: "\"Uncle Al\" Schwartz" <UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 07:56:18 -0800

Harris Barnes wrote:

> I am looking for a  environmentally and user friendly way of cleaning
> copper.
>
> Phosphoric acid does the job, however it is not "green" enough. Acetic
> and glycolic acids don't cut the mustard.

Copper ions are exceedingly phytotoxic.  Copper isn't "green," even
though it is.
Get hold of a good jar of copper polish.  You will find that it contains
a bit of benzotriazole.  Benzotriazole plates out in a monomolecular
layer onto a clean copper surface and provides remarkable chemical
passivation as long as there is no abrasion.

Have you looked at stuff like lemon juice?  Citric acid is a good
chelating agent.  Add a generous helping of elbow grease and patience.

Those who foreswear the province of science for Official Truth are
damned to squat in mud puddles, curse the darkness, and be unceasingly
extorted by their "protectors."

--
Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com ("zero" before @)