Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Cleaning Oxidised Copper
From: "\"Uncle Al\" Schwartz" <UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:55:18 -0800

Stoppioni-Morassi wrote:

> Robert Perrin wrote:
>
> > try coca-cola - heat it up if necessary
>
> Coca-cola contains phosphoric acid - why should it be more "green"
> than the acid itself ?

Coca-Cola is a consumer item.  Inerrant Environmentalists speaking
ex-cathedra from their bellybuttons have decreed that anything you eat -
if they like it too - is eternally and in all ways blessed by Gaia.
(Never mind that alfalfa sprouts are brimming with canavaline - which
can stunt or outright kill children through arginine mimicry.)

Consumer items need no MSDS.  Thus if you want to use one of the
components of Dawn dishwashing liquid in an aqueous degreasing bath,
OSHA and the EPA will tear you a second butthole.  If you use the
commercial consumer product, no safeguards or safety documentation is
required, and you can dump the stuff into the sewer no problem.

I want to know why a few pecent phosphate in laundry detergent is an
environemental atrocity, but the same or higher content in soft drinks
is OK.  Which commodity has a higher volume throughput, New Blue Cheer
or the Pepsi Generation?

--
Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com ("zero" before @)