Index Home About Blog
From: dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk (Andy Dingley)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.4x4
Subject: Re: Snowchains on a Toyota 4x4?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 02:54:13 GMT

Reed Keel <william_r_keel@ccm.fm.intel.com> wrote:

>I'm taking my truck skiing this weekend.  It's a '92 Toyota
>4x4 w/31"x10.5 off road tires.

Forget the size, what's the tread pattern ?

> One person told me I would have
>to experience blizzard conditions before I'd need snowchains.

And you're going to a ski resort ? What makes you think you won't have
a blizzard ? BTW - If you suddenly need snowchains, you _need_
snowchains.

>IMHO, I'm gonna need chains if I will be driving in any
>icy conditions...but I don't want to fork out $70 for chains
>I won't use.

A mere $70 for chains in that size ?  Consider yourself lucky and buy
them now. In the UK you're looking at 180 pounds / axle for chains
that size.

Beware of "easy fit" chains that have a hoop over the back of the
tyre. If you have off-road tyres with big cleats in the tread pattern
then these can cause problems. You put them on and drive off, then a
few yards further the chain has dropped into the cleats and the chains
are loose. If you're going to drive around in an over-sized vehicle,
then you're going to have to get a real set of chains.

>Also, if I do need chains, which axle should I put them on.
>Front tires in 4wd?

Stick them whichever end you like, neither is particularly good (Both
axles are much better). Front is usually better, especially going
downhill on hairpins, but remember you're now effectively driving a
front-wheel drive vehicle. It all handles beautifully at first, but
once you lose it on a corner you have _lost_ it for good. Take it
easy.

If you're heavily loaded, and you hit a steep hill upwards, then you
may need to shift them to the back axle.

If you have a centre diff lock, then use it where appropriate. If
you're sliding the unchained axle around continuously, then engage the
diff lock. There are few conditions when you really need chains and
you won't have the diff lock engaged.

--
Andy Dingley                          dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk

alt.flame - Making the world a safer place for postal workers.

Index Home About Blog