Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Subject: Re: planning first rv trip
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:23:47 EST
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

Michelle Murphy wrote:

> The best advice I did get was from Larry,  He told me aboutFlying J Site,
> which is what I needed because a big concern is water and dumping because
> this trip is about seeing the sites, not the campgrounds.  Thanks for all of
> the input. Michelle

Let me repeat earlier advice.  Buy a copy of "The Exit Authority"
and "Woodall's" guide to campgrounds.  The exit authority lists all
resources of interest to travelers at every exit on the interstate
system.  Dump stations are highlighted in bold red.  Woodall's tells
you most of what you need to know about campgrounds in a given
area.  Exit Authority is especially nice because it will show you
the free dump stations.  For example, Georgia has or is installing
dump stations in all their rest areas.  North Carolina has fresh
water fill up stations and some dump stations in their rest areas.

The value of these guides is far more than might be apparent before
you start traveling.  They remove that undercurrent of uncertainty
about RV resources that is otherwise there.  We made a couple of
long trips before we discovered these guides.  I can well remember
the stress of trying to find a place to camp or dump, particularly
in the middle of the night.