Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Subject: Generator Protective Time Delay
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 05:25:34 EDT
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

It is a good idea to start a generator and allow it to warm without
any load.  Some generators such as the Onan AJ series 3 KW unit
fitted to my 82 Itasca won't come up to speed with any significant
load applied.  This stresses the generator and the loads.  It is
quite a pain to have to turn off all the loads before cranking the
generator, particularly when one wants to use the roof AC while
underway.

I designed a simple, two component time delay unit that solves this
problem.  It delays the application of load to the generator for a
specified amount of time after the generator is cranked.  The parts
cost is under $50.  Installation takes under an hour. The details
can be found on my personal web page.  Click on the address in my
.sig and then go to files/rv/gendelay and look at everything in that
directory.

With this unit installed, the generator is simply cranked.  After 30
or 45 seconds or whatever delay you choose, the house load is
applied to the generator.

Sorry, don't have time for fancy web pages.  Just files containing
the information that you can view or download.