Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: How to find (or repair) a specific part for old motorhome?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:14:41 -0400 wrote:

> Hi all...  :)
> Long story short... I have an old motorhome: 1974 Chevy Casual, 18-
> footer.  The rubber inflow pipe into the gas tank has fine cracks in it
> and it leaks.  The gas tank itself is fine... just the inflow pipe has
> a getting-worse leak problem whenever I fill up.
> Turns out there is NOWHERE in my town (Portland Oregon) which has a
> replacement part.  I called all the local major RV places.
> How does one replace such an old motorhome gasoline inflow pipe? If I
> have my mechanic remove it for me, is there a gasoline-resistant patch
> I can wrap around the length of it?

As others have mentioned, NAPA stocks fuel-resistant hose in
diameters up to perhaps 12" and sells it by the inch.  That will
work if the filler pipe is a straight run.

If the rubber piece has to make a bend, you have several options:

You may be able to find the exact part from a salvage yard or NOS
dealers.  For NOS dealers, I recommend getting a copy of Hemming
Motor News, the world's largest classifieds for old/antique cars and
other vehicles.

Check with either your airport FBO or Aircraft Spruce & Specialty co
(  Aircraft use a variety of
flex/angle bellows made from a variety of materials ranging from
silicone rubber to stainless steel.  I've used this resource
extensively to obtain bellows/connectors for fabricating custom
hotrod turbo intake manifolding.

Patch the old one.  The technique I use is to impregnate fiberglass
tape with fuel-resistant silicone RTV and then wrap the piece with
the tape.  The fiberglass provides the strength while the RTV forms
the hermetic seal.  I get the 1" wide adhesive-free tape from my
friendly local electric motor shop.  In small quantity, the Permatex
blue gasket RTV or red high temperature RTV works well and is
relatively economical.


Index Home About Blog