Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Subject: Re: Question on Stihl Chainsaw
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:32:41 -0500

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:33:48 -0600, AL <lithar@hamiltoncom.net> wrote:

>dean wrote:
>
>> I wont mention jackets!
>>
>> (Actually I bought a Carhartt(sp?) jacket today, better than anything I
>> had in the UK!)

>It will last you a lifetime. Super quality.

yep.  My Carhartt cold weather jacket is the warmest winter wear I've
ever had and that includes some very expensive down jackets.  I have a
pair of Carhartt cold weather overalls that I don't get to wear much
anymore.  It just doesn't get cold enough around here.  Even in single
digit weather, I find myself sweating profusely in the things.

A couple of care hints:

Spray the outside with Scotchguard before using it.  Do it again after
cleaning.

When it gets dirty, have it drycleaned.  The colors are completely
fast to drycleaning chemicals.

Mine is >10 years old and looks like it just came off the rack even
though it's lived a hard life.  Drycleaning and the ScotchGuard is the
key.

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:45:48 -0500

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:13:32 +0000 (UTC), enigma <enigma@empire.net>
wrote:

> i have a new last winter pair of the overalls... got any
>suggestions on shortening the shoulder straps? the waist &
>inseam are fine, but the straps are about 8" too long. they
>only adjust halfway, which is weird. i would be fine if i
>could get the sliders all the way over to the middle of my
>back like on my other overalls. as it is, i can't wear the
>stupid thing. the straps are too thick to fit through the
>sewing machine folded.

I don't have that problem, as I'm at the other end of the demographics
at over 6'7".  I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine so when clothes
don't fit, I generally cut'n'sew :-)

>> A couple of care hints:
>>
>> Spray the outside with Scotchguard before using it.  Do it
>> again after cleaning.
>
> chemically intolerant. can't do that.
>>
>> When it gets dirty, have it drycleaned.  The colors are
>> completely fast to drycleaning chemicals.
>
> drycleaned? work clothes? yeah, right. i'm dragging my work
>clothes 40 miles to the nearest dry cleaner. <rolls eyes>
> i don't care if the colors fade. drycleaning is just wet
>cleaning in chemicals instead of water. why waste the money?

I have the ability to stay clean in all but the worst situations so
mine don't need it often.  I get mine done at the flat rate $1.50 a
garment cleaners.  Not too much more expensive than doing it at home
by the time you figure the cost of hot water, detergent and fuel for
drying.

I care about my appearance, even in work clothes, so not having them
appear worn (or having to replace them) is worth the small expense.  I
have to travel zero miles to the cleaner since the local cleaner owner
eats in my restaurant at least once a week and hauls my stuff to and
from his place as a favor.

If I had to drive 40 miles to the cleaner, I'd probably think twice
too.  Since I'm not you and you're not the only one on the net, others
can use these tips as fits their lifestyles.