Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Mineral Oil in Batteries
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 01:16:12 -0400

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:59:12 -0500, Bob Giddings <bobg@igg-tx.net> wrote:

>I found a link to this fellow's motorhome improvements on Mark
>Nemeth's page.  I am intrigued by his idea of adding mineral oil to
>batteries to prevent splash and subsequent corrosion when charging.
>
>Anybody know any reason NOT to do this?

It is usual to see a layer of "battery oil" (light mineral oil, I think) on
the electrolyte surface of large stationary batteries.  Slows evaporation and
controls mist during gassing.  My only reservation has to do with the sloshing
that goes with a mobile application.  I could imagine the oil not doing the
plates a lot of good if it got sloshed down around 'em.

Why not take an old battery you don't much care about and give it a try?