Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Fire Ants?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:44:22 -0400
Message-ID: <>

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:02:21 -0400, "Eisboch" <> wrote:

>Certainly not expert advise, but we discovered that if you spray the
>affected area with Windex (or other ammonia based window cleaning product),
>it reduces the "fire"  and pain of the bite dramatically. Unfortunately, it
>seems to work better if applied shortly after being bitten.

Yes, the main "hurtful" ingredient in the sting is formic acid.  Any
basic substance (ammonia, baking soda, soap, washing soda, lye
(dilute)) will do the job of neutralizing it.  As you say, it should
be done quickly before inflamation closes the sting channel and blocks
the path to the acid.


Index Home About Blog