Index Home About Blog
From: B.Hamilton@irl.cri.nz (Bruce Hamilton)
Newsgroups: sci.environment
Subject: Re: Emissions Testing Questions
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 18:52:04 GMT

News is very delayed here, so apologies for  recycling another
thread, but Mary Bryant has also raised questions about
remote sensing. I think that I have cut and pasted the FAQ info
recently into another thread in sci.environment, so will I elaborate
a little more. The only way I can possibly relate this discussion
to current sci.environment threads is to suggest that it be used
to measure farts and burps from meat-eating mountain bikers
campaigning against mining to ascertain if they are nuclear or
fossil fuelled. :-)

In article <...> len@schur.math.nwu.edu (Len Evens) writes:
>There is some evidence that the most effective way to reduce
>emissions from autos would be to monitor traffic with special
>equipment, stop the cars which are offenders and force them
>to repair their pollution control equipment (or in many cases
>stop disabling it).
>I'm afraid I don't have the reference handy, but this is based on
>a paper which appeared in Science in the past year I believe.

First, this technique has been around about 7 years, and I've been
posting details for about the last three. I even managed to convince
JdA in sci.energy that it is a great idea before he departed last year.  I
have based most of my contributions on papers from the University of
Denver FEAT team, who are strongly for the technique, however the
EPA have posted a very negative fact sheet on remote sensing at
gopher://www.epa.gov/11/Offices/Air/OMS/Consumer/

I do have a  very slight advantage over joe.public when evaluating
the claims, and that is that a team at IRL has built such a system
and are using it. They come and "borrow" my CO gas standard :-).
So I'll include the relevent bit from the Gasoline FAQ and add some
more opinion ;-)

[ from Gasoline FAQ ]

5.14 What are "gross polluters"?

It has always been known that the EPA emissions tests do not reflect real
world conditions. There have been several attempts to identify vehicles on
the road that do not comply with emissions standards. Recent remote sensing
surveys have demonstrated that the highest 10% of CO emitters produce over
50% of the pollution, and the same ratio applies for the HC emitters
- which may not be the same vehicles [75-86]. 20% of the CO emitters are
responsible for 80% of the CO emissions, consequently modifying gasoline
composition is only one aspect of pollution reduction. The new additives can
help maintain engine condition, but they can not compensate for out-of-tune,
worn, or tampered-with engines.

The most famous of these remote sensing systems is the FEAT ( Fuel Efficiency
Automobile Test ) team from the University of Denver [78]. This team is
probably the world leader in remote sensing of auto emissions to identify
grossly polluting vehicles. The system measures CO/CO2 ratio, and the
HC/CO2 ratio in the exhaust of vehicles passing through an infra-red light
beam crossing the road 25cm above the surface. The system also includes a
video system that records the licence plate, date, time, calculated exhaust
CO, CO2, and HC. The system is effective for traffic lanes up to 18 metres
wide, however rain, snow, and water spray can cause scattering of the beam.
Reference signals monitor such effects and, if possible, compensate. The
system has been comprehensively validated, including using vehicles with
on-board emissions monitoring instruments.

They can monitor up to 1000 vehicles an hour and, as an example,they were
invited to Provo, Utah to monitor vehicles, and gross polluters would be
offered free repairs [84]. They monitored over 10,000 vehicles and mailed
114 letters to owners of vehicles newer than 1965 that had demonstrated high
CO levels. They received 52 responses and repairs started in Dec. 1991, and
continued to Mar 1992. They offered to purchase two vehicles at blue book
price.  They were declined, and so attempted to modify those vehicles, even
though their condition did not justify the expense.

 The entire monitored fleet at Provo (Utah) during Winter 1991/1992
 Model year               Grams CO/gallon            Number of
                    (Median value) (mean value)      Vehicles
   92                    40             80              247
   91                    55                            1222
   90                    75                            1467
   89                    80                            1512
   88                    85                            1651
   87                    90                            1439
   86                   100            300             1563
   85                   120                            1575
   84                   125                            1206
   83                   145                             719
   82                   170                             639
   81                   230                             612
   80                   220            500              551
   79                   350                             667
   78                   420                             584
   77                   430                             430
   76                   770                             317
   75                   760            950              163
   Pre 75               920           1060              878

As observed elsewhere, over half the CO was emitted by about 10% of the
vehicles. If the 47 worst polluting vehicles were removed, that achieves
more than removing the 2,500 lowest emitting vehicles from the total tested
fleet.

Surveys of vehicle populations have demonstrated that emissions systems had
been tampered with on over 40% of the gross polluters, and an additional 20%
had defective emission control equipment [85]. No matter what changes are
made to gasoline, if owners "tune" their engines for power, then the majority
of such "tuned" vehicle will become gross polluters. Professional repairs to
gross polluters usually improves fuel consumption, resulting in a low cost to
owners ( $32/pa/Ton CO year ). The removal of CO in the Provo example above
was costed at $200/Ton CO, compared to Inspection and Maintenance programs
($780/Ton CO ), and oxygenates ( $1034-$1264/Ton CO in Colorado 1991-2 ), and
UNOCALs vehicle scrapping programme ( $1025/Ton of all pollutants ).

Thus, identifying and repairing or removing gross polluters can be far more
cost-effective than playing around with reformulated gasolines and
oxygenates. A recent study has confirmed that gross polluters are not always
older vehicles, and that vehicles have been scrapped that passed the 1993 new
vehicle emission standards [86]. The study also confirmed that if estimated
costs and benefits of various emission reduction strategies were applied to
the tested fleet, the identification and repair techniques are the most
cost-effective means of reducing HC and CO. It should be noted that some
strategies ( such as the use of oxygenates to replace aromatics and alkyl
lead compounds ) have other environmental benefits.

Action                      Vehicles   Estimated  % reduction  % reduction
                            Affected     Cost                  per $billion
                           (millions) ($billion)   HC    CO     HC    CO
Reformulated Fuels            20         1.5       17    11     11     7.3
Scrap pre-1980 vehicles        3.2       2.2       33    42     15    19
Scrap pre-1988 vehicles       14.6      17         44    67      2.6   3.9
Repair worst 20% of vehicles   4         0.88      50    61     57     69
Repair worst 40% of vehicles   8         1.76      68    83     39     47