Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: prices (was: Solenoid Mysteries)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:12:59 -0500

Not really.  I wrote an early sales automation package for the local
NAPA back before Triad so I'm intimately familiar with their
operations.

They have 5 price columns.  The "left most one" is the "sucker just
walked in off the street" retail+ price.  I'm sure a lot of "young
turks" as you call 'em, get that price just for being punks.  This is
also the price that prints on the invoice when a local mechanic buys
parts for a customer job.  His price is no more than half that. That's
the way he can profit from both his work and the parts.

The next column, usually called "jobber" is about 40% off the sucker
column.  The other columns are proportionally less, ending with the
"right column" which is "cost plus overhead" which is what one NAPA
dealer charges another and perhaps what he charges local auto dealers.
It's also the column the owner's friends get :-)  Me, for instance.

Apparently Jerry got the "sucker" price for whatever reason.  In his
shoes, my shadow would never darken the door of that place again.

John

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:48:33 -0700, BEeN<spammed@enough.already>
wrote:

>It occurs to me that NAPA is one of the places patronized by young
>turks whose goal in life is to sink every incoming penny into their
>hotrod de-jour.  RV parts places otoh tend to be patronized by aging
>penny-pinchers (hand raised) who patronize AutoZone, Checker,
>Pep-Boys, and other discount places before even considering NAPA.
>
>This may or may not be correct or obvious, but damn it's boring
>outside this morning.

Index Home About Blog