Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Date: Sep 1992
Subject: Re: passing emmisions

>I've used ATF to try and free up sticky oil rings, try running your car on straight
>ATF, might help if oil-rings are your problem.
>I would kick my neighbors butt for a stunt like that. Just a thought. :)

I have successfully unstuck both lifters and rings using Marvel Mystery
Oil.  That is a listed use for the stuff.  For lifters, just dump a quart
in the oil.  For rings, remove all plugs, flood all cylinders and
allow to sit overnight.

John

From: John De Armond
Date: Sep 1992

>> >Speaking of older cars, I have heard that Mystery Oil and other such
>> >products designed to dissolve engine deposits can cause problems when
>> >used in older cars that may not have a history of regular maintenance.
>> >

>I was hoping that somebody out there would have something definitive to
>share on the subject from their own experience, thereby sparing the
>rest of us from dangerous experimentation.  I'm not asking anyone to
>try these things; I'm asking if anyone *already has*.

Older cars with problems are the only ones I dump the stuff in.  It's a
last ditch shot for stuck lifters and rings I try before breaking out the
wrenches.

Does it dissolve crud?  Absolutely.  Makes a good parts cleaner too, as
I found out at a certain shop I used to work at where we bought it in
55 gal drums.  Don't ask :-)

Can the crud hurt the motor?  Yes, of course.  But if the motor didn't have
problems, you would not need it in the first place.

Do you need to change the oil and filter after a couple hundred miles of
use?  absolutely.  And probably again in another 500.  As long as the
filter is working and not bypassing, you should be OK.

BTW, I've been using Marvel oil for at least 20 years.  I've not noticed
any change in the consistency.  To answer another question, Chigaco Pneumatics
calls out MMO by name as the recommended lube for their air tools so I
doubt the newly labeled stuff is any different.  It probably addresses
the "you want me to put WHAT in my air tool?" syndrome.