Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Bending and Buckling Book
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:55:24 GMT

James Thomson writes:

> I intend to educate myself about the bending and buckling behaviour
> of tubes. Can anyone recommend a textbook suitable for a numerate
> but rusty layman (an undergraduate engineering text should be ok)
> that gives a rigorous but accessible treatment of the subject?

I don't understand what you need to know about buckling of tubes.
Bicycles fail in fatigue except in crashes where tubes can become
bent.  Buckling is not a common failure mode although I can imagine
that some of the newer frames with zigzag seat and chainstays could
fail in that mode in a crash, although it isn't likely.

For the relationships and formula for structural stress, the best book
I have seen is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070725411/qid=1015350498/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1

"Formulas for Stress and Strain" by Young & Roark

Jobst Brandt  <jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org>  Palo Alto CA

Index Home About Blog