Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Bike-On-Top travel tips?
Date: 13 Nov 1999 20:25:58 GMT

Steven Bixby writes:

> I have three bikes to transport, and a Yakima rack setup on top, so
> actually carrying the bikes is quite doable.  (We're carrying two
> drop-bar road bikes and one flat-bar mtn bike.)

What may not be immediately apparent is that if it rains, bicycles on
the roof will receive a high pressure washing with water at 70mph that
strikes the axle, pedal, crank and steering bearings at right angles.
The splash from this can and often does penetrate into the bearing to
rust the balls and cause lubricant emulsion when the bicycle is ridden.
Roof racks are OK in fair weather but in rain, they suck (water).

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog