Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: fork & crown race problem
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:53:54 GMT

Stagger who? writes:

> I just received my new Reynolds ouzo comp forks, and Cane Creek
> headset.  When I try to slide the crown race down on the steerer
> tube, it doesn't seat on the shoulder of the fork.  The is a slight
> lip about 1/2" up from the shoulder and the crown race stops there.
> Both headset and fork are threadless 1" version.

Fork crown races are designed to have a press fit on the fork.
Installing the race requires a "slide hammer," typically a heavy
walled tube that just fits over the steer tube, and is used to ram the
race into position.  Although the race should not be a free fit, it
also should not so tight that it takes heavy pounding to advance it on
the fork.  Races have been split that way.

It takes a special tool to remove this race from the fork, but any
reasonable bicycle shop will have both implements.  Check it out.

Jobst Brandt  <jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org>  Palo Alto CA

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:59:01 GMT

David L. Johnson writes:

>> many times the bottom of the steerer needs to be milled (faced?)
>> slightly for the crown race to seat properly. any good bike shop
>> should be able to do this for you.

>> DO NOT mill this fork(Reynolds carbon)-

>> alternatively you can also try the old heat the race and chill the
>> steer tube (if it's not carbon) to give you a little extra room.
>> Or just use the proper tool and smack it on...

> The proper tool in this case is a length of big copper pipe and a
> mallot.

Don't use a mallet.

The proper tool is a heavy walled steel tube that closely fits the
steer tube, used as a slide hammer.  This assures alignment and good
seating.  Don't worry about damage to the race, it is hard enough to
take it in stride.  The fear of damage is like the belief that riding
on rough roads cause dimpled head bearings; it doesn't.