Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: suntour 2 prong freewheel remover
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:56:15 GMT

Andrew Muzi writes:

>> which one is the strongest, most durable, expletive deleted
>> unbreakable?
>> Bicycle Research 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
>> Lifu 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
>> Park 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

> They don't vary that much.  I'm partial to Don's gold colored BR
> tool of those three.  Kingbridge were better but recently
> discontinued.

> Technique does vary.  Secure the tool to the freewheel with a skewer
> or axle nut.  Fasten the tool in a vise and rock the wheel back and
> forth a couple of times so you know it is fully engaged. Tighten the
> skewer or axle nut again. Grasp the wheel in both hands and unscrew
> in a brisk and forceful manner. Once it breaks free, slack the
> skewer or axle nut before going any farther.

I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use only the
four pronged kind of which I have a couple.  The next most important
detail is to put the FW on with anti-seize grease that contains
molybdenum-disulfide to prevent metal to metal contact of the threads.
They come off far easier that way and don't go on any tighter, this
being another one of those dynamic thread joints on a bicycle.

Jobst Brandt
jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:40:32 GMT

Andrew Muzi writes:

>>> They don't vary that much.  I'm partial to Don's gold colored BR
>>> tool of those three.  Kingbridge were better but recently
>>> discontinued.  Technique does vary.  Secure the tool to the
>>> freewheel with a skewer or axle nut.  Fasten the tool in a vise
>>> and rock the wheel back and forth a couple of times so you know it
>>> is fully engaged. Tighten the skewer or axle nut again. Grasp the
>>> wheel in both hands and unscrew in a brisk and forceful
>>> manner. Once it breaks free, slack the skewer or axle nut before
>>> going any farther.

>> I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use only the
>> four pronged kind of which I have a couple.  The next most
>> important detail is to put the FW on with anti-seize grease that
>> contains molybdenum-disulfide to prevent metal to metal contact of
>> the threads.  They come off far easier that way and don't go on any
>> tighter, this being another one of those dynamic thread joints on a
>> bicycle.

> Yes, that's helpful advice about anti-seize paste. We also install
> freewheels with it.

> However, when one has a stuck 2-notch freewheel, a 4-prong tool
> isn't helpful.

I wasn't aware that SunTour had a two notch FW's that were worth
keeping.  That was the case with two notch Regina FW's that got the
boot before Regina introduced the inside spline remover.  The same
should probably be done with two-notch SunTour bodies.  For that
matter, I think only the New Winner Pro FW's are worth a damn and they
wore out internally faster than I liked.  They have a labyrinth seal
on both sides but with so small a gap that it acts as a capillary for
water rather than a barrier.  It does admirably as a dirt barrier
though.

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Replace SunTour freewheel w/ Shimano?
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:00:36 GMT

Russell Seaton1 writes:

> But if you don't have a bench vise and have a 2 prong SunTour tool
> instead of the better 4 prong tool, then getting the freewheel off
> is the hardest part.  Spending $10 for a 4 prong tool for this one
> job just didn't make much sense to me recently.  And I still would
> have had to find a bench vise somewhere.  So I paid the bike shop
> the $5.30 to take it off using their bench vise and 4 prong tool.

The four prong tool is most likely essential for removal.  On the
other hand, if you just get sprockets that suit you from one of the
bicycle shops that carry them all you need is a pair of "chain whips"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/chainwhip.html

To remove the small (first sprocket) to get access to the rest of
them.  When putting this sprocket back on remember to lubricate its
threads with anti-seize compound and if you get the freewheel off to
do the same with the its threads.  This will make future removal far
easier than without.

You don't necessarily need a bench vise.  A 12" Crescent wrench will
also do the trick although it is easier with a bench vise.  Don't feel
compelled to buy one.  You can go to your local bicycle shop with the
four prong remover engaged, held in place by the QR skewer and ask
them to stick it in their vise and remove it.  If you are a regular
customer, that may be a freebee and you won't need to do that next
time if you use anti-seize compound.

Of course, if you plan on dumping the SunTour freewheel then proceed
as suggested above and have it taken off.