Index Home About Blog
From: billphil@earthlink.net (Badwater Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Wheel landing. Was:Help with Stinson
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 02:25:59 GMT

>If you are landing in a 3 point attitude at the same speed
>as a 3 point landing, then why are you trying to make it
>a wheel landing?!?!  The reasons to make a wheel landing
>are for forward visibility (higher speed and lower nose)
>and better crosswind control (higher speed).
>
>>Oski3
>
>Brian

I agree.  The purpose of having a tailwheel airplane is to allow you
the ability to drive it on at cruise speed and power if you have to.
In a situation where your crosswind component is exceeded, you have
the ability to come in at 100 knots if you have to and cross control
it so you can keep it straight.  You drive it on the upwind wheel, the
gingerly lower it on the downwind wheel and us differential braking to
keep it straight until you can put the nose into the wind.  One time I
had to do that in my Stinson 108-1 and sit in it for about half an
hour with the tail in the air and  nose into the wind, holding about
30% power and full brakes until a thunderstorm passed.

Actually four guys walked out to me and held the wingtips and tail and
walked me into a tiedown area.

I don't like nosewheel airplanes because you simply don't have this
option.

BWB

Index Home About Blog